Wednesday 12 November 2008

WCOAP Stud Championship Review


Same structure as the Razz, but with only 32 runners, something that surprises me. Stud is by far and away the better game, and I was hoping to have a bigger field. It's definitely more enjoyable for me, and with it being the old powerhouse of poker I guess I'm a little surprised to see the tournament so light on runners.

As I've left it so very, very long to write this review, I've forgotten many things of note. The main thing that stands out is the standard of the play. It was very poor, especially in the early stages. A lot of people owed their existence in the tournament to horrific outdraws. As usual, I sat back and played tight, hoping to profit from these mistakes. I enter the first break pretty much on my starting stack. I'm just waiting to hit anything of note!

The second phase of the tournament goes much better. I begin to pick up big pairs, and managing to hit at least two pair by the river, which is most unusual for me! Again, no specific hands I remember, but I enter the second break as chip leader on my table, with 7,800. There are 21 left at this point and I'm well above the average.

I am able to attack the short stacks, and continue to pick up reasonable cards when needed. I enter the final table 2nd in chips:


Final Table

Seat 1 - Owen Rankin - 8,500
Seat 2 - Francis Lincoln - 7,200
Seat 3 - Don Roberts - 14,000
Seat 4 - David Rice - 12,500
Seat 5 - Robert Resurreccion - 7,600
Seat 6 - Charles Sanderson - 22,100
Seat 7 - Dave Howard - 17,500
Seat 8 - Richard Rudling-Smith - 4,700


The biggest mover on the final table was eventual winner Owen Rankin. He was fortunate in a couple of spots, hitting monster cards in big pots to propel him into the medal running along with myself and Charles Sanderson, who had played very solidly. We entered three handed with Owen on 16k, Charles on 43k, and me holding 37k.

The live updates are very sketchy at this point, and coupled by my lack of memory. I believe Owen Rankin does most of the damage in crippling and then eliminating Sanderson in 3rd. He's made his way up to 60k, playing very aggressively and hitting cards at the right time. He holds a 2 to 1 chip lead as we enter heads up.

I still felt like I was going to win, I was steadily clawing my way back, which included a massive bluff on the river, betting 8k with just 12k left behind with K high. Fortunately my board was scary as hell and I win a huge pot when Owen folds his solitary pair of 7s (I've missed K high straight and flush draws). I am soon holding a large chiplead, and have Owen down to the felt. I can't quite finish him off though, he survives with the best hand on one occasion, and then the key hand on the final that weakens my resolve occurs.

I bring in, holding [Kc Jc] 4c

Owen raises with [K 7] K and I call.

4th street brings me the Tc and Owen a brick. The money is 4-bet all-in, and the cards are flipped over, with me a 60:40 favourite holding 9 flush outs and the remaining K as an out, but behind to Owen's pair of Kings. 5th street gives Owen a brick and me the Ad, adding another 5 outs, but the board blanks out and catapults Owen to the chip lead.

That was my chance, I'm now about 3 to 1 down, and fail to put up much of a fight thereafter, exiting meekly when Owen wins a race. He played a ggressively, and is a lovely bloke, but I wish he didn't have a habit of picking up great cards and holding on when it was really needed! But that's the way you win a tournament!


UK Sharks review of this tournament can be found here.

APAT live updates are here.

No comments: