Wednesday 8 August 2007

APAT Razz Championship

More APAT, plus the shittest card game in the world, equals a tournament populated by 82 complete retards (can't really exclude myself here - in relation to most of this lot, I've just about dragged myself clear of the aquarium). Evidence can be provided by the player who, on his board of 3Q3 against my A72 proceeds to call two bets, catches two miracle cards for the nuts and FLAT CALLS my bet on the river. Give me strength, or a cash game against this muppet.

John Woodfield is also in the...erm...field, and he took 13th of 341 at the 2007 WSOP Razz event. Not too shabby.

I'm soon running in the top quarter, but hindered by numerous awkward hands like [Ks 2d] Ac which I feel compelled to at least see 4th street with. I also pick up dealt trip 3s and 4th street trip 10s, which is mildly irritating. Memo to Poker Gods: 3 days too late. After a run of brilliant stud hands, I somehow get paid off when calling the bring in, a raise, and then betting on every street with [4 5] 7 6 3 2. How it got to 6th street with my opponents showing Q 8 6 T (one of the chip leaders), and 5 Q 9 9 (earlier nuts muppet) - I have no freaking idea, but I sure feel good about my prospects. A short stint in 4th follows with a high point of 3,800 chips but a few dropped pots see me finish the first hour in 20th of the 81 left, holding just under 3,100.

Back to nuts retard from earlier. I limp with [A 2] 2, as does he, showing an A and giving away his non-premium under cards. The board eventually shows [A 2] 2 4 2 A [2] as I hit trips, then a boat, then quad 2s for the second time in a week. The board is scary though, so I bet it from 6th street, I'm somehow called by [8 5] A 4 K 8 [T] for 10-high. I resisted the temptation to curse in the chat box, but I now feel I must name and shame. pernille0, take a bow.

When the government decide on poker: skill or luck? They'd better not look at Razz.

The deck remains cold, but there's more donators here than at a charity convention, so a few hands and I will get paid off handsomely. Sadly, before my new found optimism comes to fruition, I'm moved tables. But fear not, Mr. Weak-Rock from Stud is here! Starts badly, buts I console myself by thinking that playing 3 card poker with my starting hands would be rather profitable. A straight-flush, two pairs,a flush and a straight in nine hands and I'm up £300 in my virtual life.

I'm shaken out of my daydreaming, as I realise the 2nd break is approaching and I'm on the way to becoming short stacked. A few pairs later, I limp to the break with 2,800. Stakes going up to 300/600/60 and I'm 32nd of 44.

Fortunately, this table actually has some respect for your upcards, and I rapidly move to 7,000. Then the deck returns cold, and I have a winless streak stretching for 23 hands, with a excruciating run of 11 hands where my upcard is 10 or greater before I finally take the antes when showing an Ace. It's hard going, whenever I pick up playable hands, the person to my right always seems to bring in, and everyone else has low upcards too, making my 1st position raise too risky. A 37% win rate when showing down isn't helping.

I donk off 2/3 of my chips when battling the bring in with a substandard hand, mine leading but failing to improve. I get away with it, however, raising with [3 4] 8, getting 3 callers, 5th street is kind, enabling me to thin the field, before Woodfield gives me maximum value, calling down whilst drawing dead. My 9-high beats his Q-high and I'm up to 11,000, but still just below the average with 17 left. He gets 4,000 back when calling my raise from his bring in. My [6 5] 3 looks good against his Q, but the board shafts me by 6th street. I enter the 3rd break with 8,200 chips. I'm 13th of 16, average 12,800 with stakes at 1000/2000/100.

Woodfield exited in 15th, and with the majority of short stacks finding hands I found myself 14th of 14, some way adrift. I find [7 4] 6 and raise in EP, two callers showing A and 8. 4th street brings J, K and 8 respectively and I'm going all the way. The AK folds and my [7 4] 6 J A 4 [K] is all-in on 6th street and rivered by [A 2] 8 8 J 6 [4] to send me to the rail in 13th, missing the money by 5 spots.

Razz is shit.

No comments: