Friday 11 May 2012

Phoenix from the ashes

It's weird. I've had this blog for five years, had the link bookmarked on three different computers and made just one post in the last four years celebrating winning the PKR Road to Vegas league in 2010. Probably fair to say I've not had a great deal to shout about since. I've improved hugely as a poker player since - reading my old posts makes me realise how much I've learnt. Relatively speaking though, I've fallen behind my peers. In past years I shared tables with some of the best young UK poker talent in Southampton Grosvenor. They've moved on and up, the games have got tougher. I got a job and stagnated, and now I'm at a crossroads. I believe I'm a bloody good player and I take the belief with me to the table that I can adapt and give myself the best chance of beating anyone. Can I prove this? No.

But this blog is back, and I'm involved in the thick end of another Vegas WSOP league. Good omens, I hope. Especially given this blog would've been deleted had I not accessed it prior to 30th May, hence the post title. There is a reason of course; I'm hardly the individual to do something without reason.

This reason is Sorel Mizzi's Health Challenge he has issued to the poker community. The aim is to go through a 3 month fitness program, charting progress and body transformation, and blogging about my experience and the challenges I face. The incentive for doing so (aside from the obvious health implications) is that Sorel will fully analyse a poker hand every three weeks I participate. Progress will also be assessed by four judges (including Sorel), and the winner will be taken under his wing for a year. An additional incentive shall we say. Regardless of the outcome, I hope I see health benefits, plenty of blog posts and comments, and that I experience one of those poker epiphanies that takes you to the next plane in the poker player's existence.

Anyone reading this has probably read my plea on Facebook, APAT or Twitter - I would be really grateful for any following and encouragement you can offer.

"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step" - Lao Tzu

1 comment:

Big Guy said...

Good Luck!

"Hey, I don't wanna sound like a queer or nothin', but I think unicorns are kick ass!" - Dave the Lighting Guy, "Orgazmo" (1997)